Banana and Date Bread with Tahini and Carob Molasses
Banana and Date Bread with Tahini and Carob Molasses. I seem to be on a banana breadkick recently. I was so glad by the positive response to my “Chocolate Banana Bread” :,so I thought of making a “ Banana and Date Bread” using the same recipe with some major tweaks. This bread combines some great flavors including bananas, dates, carob molasses, tahini and cinnamon powder. Yes, yes tahini and carob molasses! I have to say that the cake is outrageously delicious and there is a complexity of flavors in it. For those of you who are unfamiliar with carob molasses, it is a dark brown syrup liquid that has a natural sweetness with a deep smooth flavor and touch of acidy – apparently it was used as an alternative for sugar. It has terrific health benefits. It is so rich in vitamins and minerals.
Now back to the cake! The carob molasses and tahini givethe cake an enticing flavor and a beautiful color. No fancy assembly required, just finish with a sprinkling of powdered sugar. A fluffy and moist bread that is perfect to go along a piping cup of coffee or tea!How decadent!
Give it a try! This is a keeper! Trust me on this!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 200g. / 7 oz. butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 carob molasses (dibs alkaroub)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 21/2 cups dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- ½ cup milk + 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ cup icing sugar (powdered sugar), for dusting the cake after baking
- First off, make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Place a rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter and flour a large cake tin with capacity of 10 cups of water.
- Mix together the milk and white vinegar and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer beat the butter on medium speed until it becomes creamy.
- Add the sugar, carob molasses, tahini, vanilla extract and mashed bananas and beat for 20 seconds.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat for 1 minute. Add the milk mixture and beat for 20 seconds.
- Add the chopped dates and beat one more time to homogenize the mixture.
- Fold in the flour mixture, mix well using a spatula. Scrape down the edges of the bowl and mix one more time.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin.
- Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until you insert a knife in the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack. Sprinkle some icing sugar on top of the cake! Enjoy!
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to subscibe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use photos without prior written permission.