Crunchy Pomegranate Quinoa Salad
I have something healthy for you today!! Vegan quinoa salad loaded with fruits and veggies and tied together with pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and olive oil! The quinoa absorbs the pomegranate molasses dressing, making it the best salad you could dream of – it really compliments the flavors.
Now look how festive the colored jewels are in this salad! Serve it for your Christmas Eve buffet or for any other festive occasion! Or even keep it for your new-year resolution healthy eating track - a healthy nutrient salad that will keep full for long, and it tastes wonderful!! Happy eating!!
Quinoa is a nutrient powerhouse and an ancient grain that has essential amino acids as red meat, and it is naturally gluten-free!
Look how quinoa looks after cooking, the spirals starts to pull away from the seeds
You don’t need to pace lots of steps to make this salad, all you have to do is to cook the quinoa separately, let it cool down, then toss in all the ingredients together with the fluffy quinoa and you will have a salad with multiple of textures and flavors.
Pomegranate molasses is the star ingredient here, it adds extra tang without being overly limey! Just mouth-watering!!
Now look how festive the colored jewels are in this salad! Serve it for your Christmas Eve buffet or for any other festive occasion!! Or even keep it for your new-year resolution healthy eating track - yes, a healthy nutrient salad that will keep full for long, and it tastes wonderful!!
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 medium-sized red onion, finely chopped
- 1 pomegranate, deseeded
- 2 cups parsley, finely chopped
- 11/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1 unpeeled red apple, diced, optional
- 1 tablespoon olive oil to cook the quinoa
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 11/2 cups water
- A dash of freshly grated black pepper
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses, or a bit less, I love the flavor of pomegranate molasses to be obvious, so start a little bit less and add according to your taste preference
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- To cook the quinoa: Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, rinse well with cool water for about 2-3 minutes and rub with your hands to get rid of the bitter flavor.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium, add the quinoa and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the water and salt bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover up and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed and the spirals starts to pull away from the seeds. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Set aside to completely cool down.
- Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl, add the pomegranate seeds, chopped parsley, diced onion, dried cranberries and diced apple, if used.
- Add the lemon juice, olive oil, pomegranate molasses and freshly grated black pepper. Adjust salt to your taste preference. Enjoy!
If you are a pomegranate molasses lover like me, add some more to your plate for a more tangy flavor!