Antioxidant Veggie, Fruity and Nut Salad
My husband has been recently reading a lot about healthy food and asked me if I could make a healthy salad without being boring. Here is a plant based salad that combines a variety of wonderful flavors that happens to be so good for you. The salad is packed with purslane, beetroots, pomegranate arils, leafy greens, onion, walnuts, lemon juice, honey and olive oil. There is a large number of antioxidants in this salad. Antioxidants work to repair or prevent damage to your body’s cells and boost your immune system.
Have you heard about purslane? Puslane leaves have more omega 3 than any other leafy vegetable. It is popular in the Middle East and the Mediterranean. It is found as a weed in the field crops. In Lebanon it is called “Farfaheen” and it is a major component in Fattoush salad. It is an excellent source of vitamins and a powerful natural antioxidant.
Beetroots have too a wide range of health benefits. They are high in vitamins and contain big levels of antioxidants. Not to mention the pomegranates and their innumerable healthy benefits. They are too a great source of vitamins and a potent antioxidant.
Walnuts and olive oil are too a winning combination. They are rich in antioxidants and provide healthy essential fatty acids. And honey is much more than a sweet; it is too rich in antioxidants.
Looking for a healthy and delicious salad, keep this in mind. It did really turn so good.
- 2 cups purslane leaves, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cups of leafy greens, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 medium sized beetroots
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 onion, sliced
- A handful of raw walnuts
- A pinch of sumac, optional
For the dressing:
- ½ cup virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tabespoons honey
- Salt to taste
- Place the beets in a pot , add water to fully cover them and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover up and cook for 2 hours or until the beets are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside to completely cool down. Peel the beets and slice into strips.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, honey, sumac and salt until well combined. Add the olive oil in a steady stream, whisking until well incorporated.
- Combine the leafy greens and purslane leaves and transfer to a large serving plate. Sprinkle the sliced onions on top.
- Add the walnuts, beetroot strips and pomegranate seeds; toss the dressing equally over the plate just before serving. Enjoy.
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to subscibe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don't use photos without prior written permission.