Fried Cauliflower with Tahini Sauce
Though I am mother of 3 young men and have published two cookbooks, I still miss my mom’s classic recipes. Growing up, this fried cauliflower was a staple at our house. Nothing could be better for me than coming back home and smelling the cauliflower frying in a fryer.
The recipe may sound straight forward, yet the result is amazing! You may be asking yourself a question: “why fried and not roasted”. I will tell you why. Frying will crisp the outside of these florets perfectly and cook the inside just enough. However, if you are trying to cut down on fatty foods, then just brush a nonstick baking sheet with canola oil, lay the florets in a single layer, and roast in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until it is crisp brown, making sure to flip every few minutes.
Serve it with tarator sauce (tahini citrus sauce). Make sure to use a good tahini brand, it makes all the difference.
- 1 large cauliflowerhead (1 kg. /2lb 4oz.), cut into small florets
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sunflower or canola oil, for deep frying
- For the Tarator (tahini sauce):
- ½ cup tahini(sesame seed paste, can be found at Middle Eastern Stores)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Salt to taste
- Wash the cauliflower florets under running water anddrain in a colander.
- In a deep fryer, heat oil to an adequate frying temperature.
- Place half of the cauliflower florets in hot oil and cook for 4 minutes stirring occasionally to ensure even browning, fry until crisp and brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Repeat with the remaining cauliflower florets.
For the tarator (tahini sauce):
- With a fork, stir well the tahini jar before using.
- In a bowl, whisk together the tahini and water.
- Add the garlic, lemon, salt and whisk thoroughly. The sauce should have the consistency of thick cream. If the sauce is too thick, add 2 tablespoons of water and stir.
- Serve the Tarator sauce with the fried cauliflower and pita bread. Enjoy!