Eggplant Chips with Feta and Honey
This is a treasured Spanish Tapa that has been given to me by our dear friend David Carreras. David is the owner of the beautiful Spanish Toro Tapas Bar Restaurant in Accra- Ghana, and this recipe is one of the highly recommended items in his restaurant. It is a combination of elegance and simplicity. With minimal list of ingredients, this tastes like a gourmet masterpiece – a combination of savory and sweet. Give it a try and I am pretty sure you’ll find yourself coming back to this dish again.
You need to thinly slice the eggplants, coat with flour and deep fry until crispy and golden, then simply top with crumbled feta cheese and drizzle with honey.
Many thanks David for the recipe!
For those following a gluten free diet, replace the flour with rice flour
Follow us on Pinterest
Slice the eggplants into very thin rounds, about 1/8 inches / 1/3 cm thick. (Preferably use a mandoline)Sprinkle some salt over the eggplant slices
Dredge each slice in flour (the eggplant slices should be entirely covered with flour.
Fry the coated eggplant slices in batches (don’t over-crowd the frying pan) until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
Honey adds such a subtle flavor to the savory eggplants
- 2 medium-sized eggplants (450 g. / 1 lb.)
- 100 g. / 3.5 oz. goat feta cheese
- 3/4 cup flour
- 5 tablespoons honey
- A pinch of salt
- 4 cups canola oil, for deep frying
- Trim the end of the eggplants.
- Slice the eggplants into very thin rounds, about 1/8 inches / 1/3 cm thick. (Preferably use a mandoline)
- Sprinkle some salt over the eggplant slices
- Dredge each slice in flour (the eggplant slices should be entirely covered with flour).
- Turn on the fryer and heat oil to 190°C / 375°F. If you don’t have a thermometer, the bread method works well. Check the temperature of the oil by dropping a cube of crustless white bread in the oil. It should be golden in 60 seconds.
- Fry the coated eggplant slices in batches (don’t over-crowd the frying pan) until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Crumble the feta cheese and equally spread on top of the eggplant slices.
- Generously drizzle with honey just before serving. Enjoy!
Kindly share your thoughts and feedback in the comment section below. We would love to read them!!
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use photos without prior written permission.