Chocolate Banana Bread
To all my chocolate lovers out there, the cake is dedicated to you! An awesome chocolate banana bread loaded with chocolate chunks or chips and covered with chocolate ganache. When I started slicing this bread, I could tell from its smell and texture thatthis recipe isa keeper and right from the first bite I was hooked!! The bananas in this cake are not very evident as the chocolate overpowers them, but they stillcreate a deliciously moist texture without being too dense – a bit crunchy on the outside yet moist on the inside. Really this will be so good with your morning coffee or your afternoon tea! The bread can be served on its own without the chocolate ganache on top! But you know what, don’t skip the chocolate ganache – it is a perfect complement to this rich chocolaty banana bread! Trust me on that!
When you are testing the cake for doneness, insert a knife or a toothpick in different places. You may hit a melted piece of chocolate that might make you think the cake isn’t done!!
Make sure to use unsweetened cocoa powder – not the instant
For best results use ripe bananas!
High quality chocolatemakes all the difference in this Chocolate Banana Bread.
Semisweet chocolate or milk chocolate chunksor even a mix of both
- 3 cups flour
- 200 g. / 7 oz. butter
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 11/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup milk + 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 150 g. /5 oz. semisweet chocolate or milk chocolate chunks or chips, or even a mix of both
For the chocolate ganache:
- 100 g. /5 oz. semisweet chocolate
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon butter
- First off, make sure that all ingredients are at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 18°C/350°F. Place a rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter and flour a large cake tin with capacity of 10 cups of water.
- Mix together the milk and white vinegar. Set aside.
- Combine together, in a bowl, the flour, salt, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter in a bowl on medium speed until it becomes creamy.
- Add the sugar, vanilla extract and mashed bananas and beat for 20 seconds.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat for one minute. Add the milk mixture and beat for 20 seconds.
- Fold in the flour mixture over the batter. Add the chocolate chunks or chips, scrape down the edges of the bowl, and stir well with a wooden spoon to fully integrate the batter.
- Pour the batter onto the cake tin.
- Bake for 1hour 15 minutes or until you insert a skewer in the center of the cake and it comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack.
Now prepare the ganache:
- Place the chocolate, heavy cream and butter in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat. While whisking, bring to a boil. Whisk more ending up with a shiny chocolate glaze. Set aside to cool down a bit and drizzle evenly over the chocolate banana bread!
If you are a banana bread lover as I am, You will love our Banana and Date Bread
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to subscibe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use photos without prior written permission.